For my coverages, I referred to a checklist of basic ‘rules’ provided by a small production company. Over the months, I added to it and revised it quite a bit, combining it with stuff I’d read, and with guidelines provided by other companies. I eventually compiled it all into a make-believe set of guidelines from a mythical studio, SPECTACLE PICTURES. I even gave a copy to my story editor when I left my last job.
The Heartbleed Bug is a serious vulnerability in the popular OpenSSL cryptographic software library. This weakness allows stealing the information protected, under normal conditions, by the SSL/TLS encryption used to secure the Internet. SSL/TLS provides communication security and privacy over the Internet for applications such as web, email, instant messaging (IM) and some virtual private networks (VPNs).
Today is International Roma Day. Today we celebrate our nation without borders, the people known as Gypsies.
Please take a moment with me and celebrate my wonderful people and mourn the hundreds of thousands who died in the Holocaust and those that today are persecuted, discriminated against, oppressed and killed..
Please do your part to educate the world, fight ignorance and bigotry, and counteract negative stereotypes.
Tweet, blog, share, spread the truth. Copy and paste takes seconds
1. Gypsy is an ethnicity not a lifestyle .
2. Gypsy is a name given by outsiders to the Roma, based on an incorrect belief that the Romani people were from Egypt.
3. More than 500,000 and probably many more Roma (Gypsies) died in the Holocaust.
4. Around the world, Roma (Gypsies) are denied education, work, decent housing and basic human rights.
5. Bigotry and ignorance about the Roma (Gypsies) exists in the United States with violation of human rights by police departments and institutionalized racism from schools to health departments.
6. The Mafia are Italian but not all Italians are part of the Mafia. Similarly there are Roma (Gypsy) criminals but not all Roma are criminals.
7. There are Roma (Gypsy) college professors, mathematicians, artists, musicians, actors, politicians, business people, athletes and film/television writers.
8. Roma stereotypes in film and television characters perpetuate bigotry and hate and directly affect the lives of real people.
9. Negative, bigoted, hate speech against the Roma (Gypsies) is accepted where similar speech about other minorities is found to be repulsive and even illegal.
10. Not in 1930’s Germany, but now, Roma (Gypsies) experience forced sterilization, removal of their children for not conforming to ethnic stereotypes, children forced into special education based only on ethnicity, fingerprinting/id based only on ethnicity, and attacks, even murder, that police and government not only turn a blind eye to but may participate in.
Remember and celebrate today with us.
Just a very few of the many resources:
Gypsy Mafia, Romani Saints: The Racial Profiling of Romani Americans
ROMA: DEMANDING EQUALITY AND HUMAN RIGHTS
The Patrin Web Journal:
Romani Culture and History “
"Sundance 2013 was a banner year for the festival in terms of gender equality: women directed eight of the 16 features programmed in the narrative competition. But these numbers are rare outside of Park City, and the Sundance Institute even commissioned a study that revealed a gender gap even persists in the indie world. It’s plainly obvious that Hollywood itself has a hiring problem when it comes to hiring women directors, and recently, the industry and the DGA were put in a headlock by "Punisher: War Zone" director Lexi Alexander in a searing blog post on the issue of diversity hiring. She decried both "the huge lack of people willing to give female directors opportunities," and the poor efforts on the part of the studios and DGA to organize on this front."
"A producer friend at a production company recently shared this email interchange with a writer. It painfully illustrates why most producers will only accept solicited submissions or via a reputable agent. Irrespective of the talent this writer may show in the future, this bridge is burned."
Interesting though it doesn’t seem to work well for some series such as True Detective and Doctor Who!
"Is it worth investing a few weeks of your life in Battlestar Galactica? What about Game of Thrones? Or Deadwood? Here’s a graphical tool that maps all the Internet Movie Database’s ratings for every episode of every TV series—a scientific method to pick the next show that is going to make you lose countless hours of sleep."